Thinking about making the switch to a plastic-free kitchen but you don’t know what to do? Follow this easy 4-step process!
Like any modern American, my kitchen had been full of plastic until just a couple years ago.
I used plastic cups and plates for patio dining, plastic food storage containers for leftovers and packed lunches, plastic sippy cups for my young children, and plastic utensils for my Teflon-coated pots and pans.
Eliminating plastic from my kitchen
It may have taken a little longer than I would have liked, but over a few years I upgraded to healthier options. I now use:
- Stainless steel pots, pans and utensils,
- Cast iron skillets,
- Wood and bamboo cutting boards,
- Reusable cloth snack bags,
- A lot of glassware (from baking dishes to storage containers and reusable, repurposed glass jars).
I’ve almost completely eliminated plastic, but I still use:
- Plastic resealable storage bags (occasionally) for packed lunches,
- Plastic wrap when covering leftovers in stoneware and glassware,
- Plastic lids that came with my reusable glass food containers.
I probably could make the switch to entirely plastic-free, but for the sake of convenience I don’t know if that will ever happen. (I still need to try out silicone lids.) And I’m OK with that. I know I’ve made a lot of healthy changes – and have stopped using a lot of plastic.
Your plastic-free kitchen
Making the switch from plastic isn’t as difficult as you may imagine. Here’s a simple 4-step process for you:
- First, make a decision to stop using plastic in your kitchen.
- Then, prepare. Stock up on glass storage containers. Reuse glass jars. Make the switch to stainless steel, cast iron or ceramic cookware.
- Pitch your plastic. Go ahead and get rid of your plastic containers and plates so you’re not tempted to use them.
- Finally, enjoy the health benefits! No more exposure to chemicals leached from plastic for you!
What steps are you taking toward a plastic-free kitchen? What plastic products do you still use?
Disclosure: Purchasing items through links in this post will result in a commission for No Place Like Home. Thank you for supporting this website!